Bylaws of the Circle K Club of The University of the West Indies, Mona
Chartered: September 25, 1987
Article 1: Name
The name of this organisation shall be, A?A�A?The Circle K Club of The University of the West Indies, MonaA?A�A? and shall also be known as The UWI, Mona Circle K.
Article 2: Organisation
Its form of organization, its ideals and its purpose shall be similar to those of the Kiwanis Club of North St. Andrew.
It shall be sponsored by, work with, but not be apart of the Kiwanis Club of North St. Andrew.
The Kiwanis Club of North St. Andrew shall assume full responsibility of all chartering costs.
- The Kiwanis Club of North St. Andrew is not responsible for the fiscal responsibility of the CKI Club of The University of the West Indies, Mona but should be able to help in the role of advising the club regarding financial matters.
- The Kiwanis Club of North St. Andrew may make a monetary donation if it is helpful to the CKI club and with the approval of the Kiwanis Club of North St. Andrew and the CKI Club of The University of the West Indies, Mona.
Article 3: Objects and Vision
The objects of this club shall be:
- To develop college and university students into responsible citizens and leaders with a lifelong commitment to service;
- To collaborate with all members of the Kiwanis family to achieve our common objectives;
- To develop positive role models;
- To enhance inter-cultural understanding and cooperation;
- To increase our service potential;
- To provide opportunities for fellowship, personal growth, professional development and leadership skills;
- To work towards a greater public recognition of the organization;
- To emphasize the advantages of the democratic way of life;
- To serve on the campus and in the community;
- To encourage participation in group activities;
- To develop aggressive citizenship and the spirit of service for improvement of all human relationships;
- To give primacy to the human and spiritual rather than to the material values of life;
- To promote the adoption and the application of high social, business and professional standards;
- To develop, by precept and example, a more intelligent, aggressive and serviceable citizenship;
- To provide through CKI clubs a practical means to form enduring friendships, to render altruistic service and to build better communities;
- To cooperate in creating and maintaining that sound public opinion and high idealism which makes possible the increase in righteousness, justice, patriotism and goodwill.
The vision of this club shall be:
To be the leading global community-service organization on college and university campuses that enriches the world one member, one child and on community at a time.
The mission of this club shall be:
CKI develops college and university students into a global network of responsible citizens and leaders with a lifelong commitment to service.
Article 4: Motto
The motto of this club and of CKI shall be A?A�A?Live to Serve, Love to Serve.A?A�A?
Article 5: Membership
Membership of this club shall be in accordance with the following:
- Any student of good character, who is officially enrolled for at least part-time status, as defined by The University of the West Indies, Mona , may be granted active membership in said club with a majority vote of the membership.
- There shall be no discrimination on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, sexual orientation, veteranA?A�A�s status, marital status, disability or religious affiliation within this organization.
- If a member has not graduated, he or she has thirty (30) days to meet enrollment, academic or minimum membership requirements before his or her membership will cease. In the event of a memberA?A�A�s graduation, membership will cease on September 30 of the same CKI administrative year.
- Any person, who holds membership (other than honorary) in any other CKI club, or other Kiwanis-family organizations, shall not be eligible for active membership in this club.
Hazing in any form is strictly prohibited. Hazing is considered an interference with personal liberty, and includes, any act of domination by any student over others which may lead to physical or emotional injury and discomfort. Hazing involving forced consumption of alcohol or drugsA�A�for the purpose of initiation or affiliation with any organisation is specifically prohibited.
A member in good standing shall be in accordance with the following:
- Payment of district dues, international fees and all other fees outstanding to the club.
- At least a part-time student at The University of the West Indies, Mona.
Article 6: Officers
The elected officers of this club shall be a president, two vice presidents, a secretary, a treasurer, a bulletin editor and no more than five (5) directors. All officers shall be active members in good standing with this club. They shall serve for one (1) year or until their successors are elected and are qualified.
The duties of the officers shall be as follows:
- The president shall be the executive officer of this club and shall preside over all meetings of the club and the Board of Directors. The president shall appoint committee members, with the board officers. The president shall be an ex-officio member of all standing and special committees. The president shall present the views of the club to the district in relation to the club. As the official representative of the club, the president shall promote the growth of CKI on campus and within the community. The president shall cooperate with the Kiwanis club of North St. Andrew and promote Kiwanis-family relations. He/she shall act as one of the delegates of the club at district convention, and it shall be this personA?A�A�s responsibility to have this club represented at both the district and international convention by two voting delegates. The outgoing president, in conjunction with the Kiwanis and faculty advisors, shall make provisions for the training of the new Board of Directors prior to their installation. The president shall perform such other duties as usually pertain to the office of president or may be assigned by the Board of Directors.
- The 1st vice president, in the absence of the president, shall preside at all meetings of this club and of the Board of Directors, shall be directly responsible to the president for all committee activities.
- The vice-president shall also perform such other duties as usually pertain to the office, or as may be assigned by the president or the Board of Directors.
- The 2nd vice president, in the absence of the 1st vice president and the president, shall preside over meetings. The 2nd vice president shall also be responsible for communications with the studentA?A�A�s Guild as the clubA?A�A�s representative on the External Affairs Committee and the student services department of The University of the West Indies, Mona. The 2nd vice-president shall also perform such other duties as usually pertain to the office, or as may be assigned by the president or the Board of Directors.
- The secretary shall record accurate minutes of the meeting; shall maintain the clubA?A�A�s permanent records; shall update all addresses; shall publish the club bulletin; and shall perform such other duties as pertain to this office or as may be assigned by the club president or the Board of Directors .
- The treasurer shall collect and disburse member dues; shall prepare as adhere to an approved budget; shall maintain accurate records; shall transact business through a bank or school account; shall keep the Board of Directors informed of financial strengths and weaknesses of the club; shall order club supplies; shall have the books audited; shall communicate with the district officers; shall inform the Kiwanis club of North St. Andrew of this clubA?A�A�s financial status; and shall perform such other duties as pertains to this office or as may be assigned by the club president or the Board of Directors . f. . The bulletin editor shall be responsible for the producing and distribution of the official district publication. The editor shall send copies of the publication to the members of the club. The editor is privy to attend all meetings of the Board of Directors. The editor shall also perform such other duties as may be assigned by the President or the District Board of Directors.
- The board shall also consist of five (5) directors elected from the club membership to act as trustees in the transaction of club business and to supervise the chairs in their work in the various standing Committees.
Any member may recommend the removal of a club officer to the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors shall hold a meeting at which the officer in question shall be heard. The Board of Directors will then present their findings to the club at which time a vote by 2/3 of the quorum is required to remove the officer in questions.A�A�In the event any officer should be removed from office, the officer shall be notified in writing by the secretary.
In the event of a vacancy in the office of president, the vice president shall succeed to the office. If two or more vice presidents hold office in this club, one of them shall be elected to fill the vacancy by a majority vote of the entire active club membership of this club at the next regularly scheduled meeting. In the event of a vacancy in any other office, a majority vote of the active membership of this club present and voting at the next regularly scheduled meeting shall elect a member in good standing to serve for the remainder of the unexpired term.
No elected club officer may hold an elected district or international office in addition to their club office.
ARTICLE NEW: BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Board of Directors of this club shall consist of the elected officers, the faculty advisor, the Kiwanis advisor and if applicable the immediate past club president. The faculty advisor and the Kiwanis advisor shall be nonvoting, ex-officio members of the Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors shall approve the budget, approve all bills, take counsel with committees, discipline members, review and report to Kiwanis the performance of the club officers, set membership requirements, and perform such other duties as shall be referred to it by the club, in compliance with these Bylaws and the requirements of CKI.
The Board of Directors shall meet at least twice per month during the school year, and at least once during the summer term, at a time and place that it shall determine, and at such other times as the president or a majority of its voting members deem necessary.
Article 7: Election of Club Officers
Election of the Board of Directors shall be held at the Annual General Meeting which is to be held at least two (2) weeks prior to the district convention. All officers shall assume their official duties on April 1 following their election. If the district convention is held later than March 31 in any given year, all officers shall assume their official duties on April 15.A�A�They shall serve for one (1) year or until their successors are duly elected and installed.
All officers who are members in good standing are eligible for re-election.
Officers shall be nominated by any member of the club at least one week prior to the election date.
Election of officers shall be conducted by ballot. A member shall be voted in when a majority of the quorum present is obtained.
In the event of a tie for any of the offices the remaining candidates will be removed from the ballot and the two candidates shall be voted on again.
- In the event that only two candidates are running for an office and the vote results in a tie then each candidate will be given one and a half (1.5) minutes to speak to the membership and another vote will be taken. In the event of another tie, the club president shall cast a tie breaking vote.
Article 8: Club Meetings
During the school year the club shall hold one weekly meeting on Thursday and at such place as shall be determined by the club officers and the club members. It may hold such other meetings as the officers or the membership may desire. In the event that unusual conditions prevent a weekly meeting, this club may hold a minimum of two meetings per month, with the officers meeting on all other weeks.
Quorum at a club meeting shall be considered a majority (50 percent plus one) of the active club membership and is required for business to be legally transacted.
Article 9: Committees
The president shall appoint committee chairmen to the following standing committees:
- Membership Development and Education
- Kiwanis Family Relations
- Service ( Chairman of service, Director of Projects)
- Programme Committee
The president and vice presidents shall appoint committee members to the standing committees.
The duties of the standing committees shall be as follows:
- The Membership Development Committee shall devise effective plans to obtain new members on a regular basis to provide the necessary manpower for an effective program of service.
- The Kiwanis Family Relations Committee shall work with the entity in charge of programs and projects in preparing inter-club activities with other Kiwanis family clubs and shall see that the membership of the CKI club are cognizant of all areas of each organization thereof.
- The Service Committee shall plan projects and activities promoting and supporting the International Service Initiative Program and the major emphasis programmes of the Caribbean CKI District during their administrative year.
- The Programmes Committee shall plan activities that will promote fellowship and strengthen friendships within the club and throughout the entire Kiwanis Family. He/she will also aid in planning the weekly meetings and special events of the club.
- The Fundraising Committee shall be responsible for planning activities within the club that will raise administrative funds for the club to be better able to coordinate its administrative activities.
- The Committee shall also be responsible for planning activities within or outside of the club to raise service funds for the club to be better able to coordinate its service projects.
The club president has the right to form any special committee deemed necessary for normal club function.
Article 10: Kiwanis and Faculty Advisor
This club shall have one (1) faculty advisor which the club shall turn to when in need of advising from the University or faculty level. The faculty advisor shall also sit in every meeting and be free to give his/her opinion on all matters of the club.
- The faculty advisor shall be proposed by the club president at least one (1) week in advance of the meeting for voting and voted on by the membership of the club. The vote for the faculty advisor must pass by a majority vote while quorum exists during a meeting.
- In the event of a tie, the club president shall cast the deciding vote.
This club shall have one (1) Kiwanis advisor which the club shall turn to when in need of advising from the local Kiwanis level. The Kiwanis advisor should be from the Kiwanis Club of North St. Andrew. He shall also sit in every meeting and be free to give his opinion on all matters of the club.
- The Kiwanis advisor shall be appointed by the Kiwanis Club of North St. Andrew.
Article 11: Dues
Total amount for membership fee shall not exceed JM $2000 per member.
Article 12: Amendments
Amendments to these bylaws shall be adopted by two-thirds (2/3) vote of the membership at any regular meeting held at least two weeks after a regular meeting at which the proposed amendment or amendments were read, or after giving written notice thereof to each member one week prior to the action on such amendment or amendments.
Composed: September, 1987
Amended: October, 2010